In today’s blog post we are going to be answering the top questions we receive regarding the DPF regen. The information in this blog post can be used as a general foundation for all makes, models, and engines that have the DPF system.
If the soot level is low, can I still perform a forced DPF regen with OTR Diagnostics?
Yes, OTR Diagnostics will allow you to start a forced DPF regen no matter what the soot level is.
In order for any diagnostic tool to start a forced DPF regen it must first start a diagnostic session to be able to communicate to the engine and aftertreatment controllers. Once the connection is established it then sends the commands to start a forced DPF regen.
Why would I run a forced DPF regen if my truck is not asking for one?Running a forced regen decreases soot level and provides for a less restricted and more free-flowing exhaust system. With less restricted exhaust flow you can expect to see better efficiency when it comes to fuel economy and DEF consumption, saving you money.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the gauge on the dash is a calculation and can sometimes be inaccurate. By doing the forced DPF regen you are lowering the soot level and keeping your system running at peak performance.
To run or to not run a forced DPF regen
You need to monitor a few parameters to assess whether or not it is necessary to run a forced DPF regen.
You need to monitor your
- Fuel mileage
- DEF consumption
- Exhaust gas temperature
- Boost pressure
- You may also have an aftertreatment fault code that is triggered when it’s necessary to run a forced DPF regen.
Our recommendations on how often you should run a forced DPF regen.
Perform a forced DPF regen every 2-3 weeks if you are
- OTR Driving - carrying light loads
- City Driving
- Not reaching highway speeds with your vehicle
Perform a forced DPF regen once a month if you are
- OTR Driving – carrying heavy loads
- Operate Off-Highway equipment
I hope this blog post helps clear up more of your forced DPF regen questions.
Until next time! 👋
Stay safe, stay healthy & be blessed.
Looking to learn more? Check out our other blog posts.
- How long should a forced DPF regeneration last?
- Tell-tale symptoms of a successful (or unsuccessful) forced DPF regeneration.
- What is face plugging? How does it happen? How can I fix it?
- What happens if your truck can no longer regen?
- What is Forced DPF Regen?
- Common DPF questions Answered!
- What does poor DEF quality Mean?
OTR Diagnostics allows you to read and reset fault codes, view live data, and run advanced diagnostic functions, including forced DPF regen with your mobile phone or tablet.