If you have a Paccar powered truck that is 2011+, then you need to be aware of your emission system. Learning about this system will ensure you are prepared before a breakdown occurs.
Paccar emissions are complicated. The reason we say this is because there are two aftertreatment ECUs for Paccars. One is used to control the DEF system and the other one is used to control the DPF system and keep the aftertreatment in sync with the engine ECU. There are many different components that make up the DPF & DEF system. So it is best to understand the limitations so you are not stranded over the road.
If you have a Volvo D13 then read about what to do when stuck in a 5 MPH derate in this blog post.
5 MPH DEF derate explainer:
If you have an emissions-related issue, then you are going to enter the dreaded 5 MPH derate that gets enabled by the ECU.
The 5 MPH derate can happen at any time because if you lose connection or have a sensor problem, the truck will put you into derate very quickly.
How do you remove the 5mph derate?
This process can be done with only a few high-level tools, such as the dealer level Davie4 software by Paccar. Doing this service at the dealer is costly because you need to have your truck towed into the nearest dealer. But remember, don’t let the mom & pop service shops fool you, ask them if they have the Davie4 or the capability to remove the 5 MPH DEF derate with a dealer level tool.
OTR Performance has developed a 5MPH DEF derate diagnostic and reset tool. Both OTR Diagnostics and the OTR Reset Tool for Paccar PX and Paccar MX will reset the 5mph derate at the dealer level. Both these products give you the capability to perform these extensive resets yourself at a much lower cost.
- OTR Diagnostics and the OTR Reset Tool will clear the fault codes at the dealer level. This means that you can replace failed parts and/or check if the fault code is a “Ghost code”. You can clear the CEL and see if it comes back. Most of the time it won’t come back unless it’s an ongoing issue with that part and you need to have that system checked or replaced.
- OTR Diagnostics and the OTR Reset Tool will reset the 5 MPH DEF derate. They send the reset at the highest dealer level to make sure you won’t need to visit a repair shop or dealer – saving you both time and money
Until next time! 👋
Stay safe, stay healthy & be blessed
Looking to learn more? Check out our other blog posts.
- How long should a forced DPF regeneration last?
- Tell-tale symptoms of a successful (or unsuccessful) forced DPF regeneration.
- What is face plugging? How does it happen? How can I fix it?
- What happens if your truck can no longer regen?
- What is Forced DPF Regen?
- Common DPF questions Answered!
- What does poor DEF quality Mean?
OTR Diagnostics allows you to read and reset fault codes, view live data, and run advanced diagnostic functions, including forced DPF regen with your mobile phone or tablet. Select which engine you have for your diagnostic package.
- Cummins ISX, ISB, ISC, ISL, X15, X12 Engines
- Detroit Diesel S60, DD60, DD13, DD15, DD16 Engines
- Paccar MX11, MX13 Engines
- Paccar PX6, PX7, PX8, PX9 Engines
- Volvo D11, D13, D16 Engines
- Mack MP7, MP8, M10 Engines
- Professional (All-in-One) Engines
The OTR Reset Tool is specific to which model and engine you have. Select which engine for more specific details.